Tuesday, February 07, 2006

You would think!

You would think me being 36 years old would mean that I could control myself and be a mature adult around teenagers. Well as was illustrated last night that is not the case. We were having a Chuck Norris theme night last night and were doing this game where the kids were doing push ups and then they had to do a push up and pick up a candy heart that is stuck in whip cream. Sounds great except when they saw us coming with the whip cream pie pans they got up because they thought we were going to pie them. Well everything was going fine, but I had both two pie pans filled with whipped cream in my hands and a kid standing right in front of me not paying attention! It was just too good to resist, so I just creamed this kid and then the chaos broke out and there was whipped cream flying all over the place. Now normally this would be just good fun but we do our clubs in peoples homes! So we are trashing this families play room and I was the one who started it. Well we finally get them calmed down and cleaned up a little and play our next game and end up breaking their ceiling fan glass cover.... And it just kept going downhill from there. The horrible thing is that before our meeting when I was meeting with our leaders I said we need to be careful tonight or this stuff with the whipped cream is going to turn into a big mess, so let's make sure that doesn't happen. Then what do I do, start the whole freaking whipped cream fight, what an idiot. You would think after 16 years of youth ministry I would have an ounce of control, but you would be wrong! Well we finally got the room cleaned up and I talked with the parents and they were more or less okay with the whole thing, but it was a great lesson for our leaders about how not to lead a club! It's bad when your main leader is the worst trouble maker! I need help!

2 comments:

rocketbird said...

Sorry to hear about that. It's always mortifying when you break or stain something in someone's home. I hope everything's ok with the parents.

Andy Rodriguez said...

Some things never change. Rodney Huffty, man, I am glad to hear that you are still doing well. This is Andy Rodriguez from Mckinney. I have been reading through your posts and laughing hard. I just dont understand how people can do youth ministry so well and not go crazy! You have a gift! I saw the picture of your family from an earlier post. WOW. Your little girls are no longer little girls. I would love to catch up with you some time. In the mean time, I will enjoy reading your posts. grace and peace, friend.